Latest on this subject
- O2 Announces Exclusive Priority Partnership for Beyoncé's UK leg of the Mrs. Carter Show World Tour »
- New O2.co.uk Homepage Goes Live »
- Facebook statuses re-imagined as O2 creates "Future Timelines" »
- O2's statement in response to Ofcom's announcement on 4G and Everything Everywhere »
- Young people's digital skills valued at £6.7billion by UK businesses »
- Huw Stephens and O2 Think Big to "build a band" of real musicians to perform at the UK's biggest venues »
- 4 million stay-at-home workers during the Summer's Festivities »
Surge in social sport this summer - Nike & O2 create a Priority digital sports club
Mobile booms as UK’s way to inspire and get involved with sport
London, 18thAugust, Nike and O2 today launched a digital sports club: Priority Sports. Delivered via mobile app, Priority Sports provides exclusive products, services and experiences driven by Nike and its strong connection to athletes, especially for O2’s UK customers.
The goal behind Priority Sports is to inspire people to be more active and bring them closer to their sporting passion, via their mobile, wherever and whenever they are. New data from O2 shows that the UK is surging in demand for sports via their phones, and with their friends.
• During the Olympic period, mobile internet usage went up 25 %, driven by social media usage as people shared sporting excitement with friends.
• But it’s not just about watching – people want to get active – requests for O2 Guru help in selecting and using sport and fitness mobile apps has rocketed this week with a100% increase in queries.
• This is supported by over half (53.15 %) of people who are getting active, use an app to get fit
• A huge 79% of people say apps increase their motivation
Priority Sports will be available for Android based phones at launch, and the app will include services and experiences like:
• Digital experiences:
o Exclusive access to the new Nike+ Running app for Android which allows athletes to stay motivated and track, measure, compare and share their runs, refreshed all the time
• Physical experiences:
o Access to Nike events, and athlete experiences, including, from launch, the likes of Paula Radcliffe, Premier League stars and training with Saracens rugby and more.
o Exclusive weekly Nike+ Run Clubs & Nike Training Clubs for Priority Sports members
o Opportunity to train at the Nike football Academy
o Dedicated 25% off all pitch hire at Lucozade Powerleague’s 44 5-aside centres nationwide
• Products & offers:
o 1,000 limited edition Ice Nike Fuelbands, only available online through Priority Sports
o Exclusive and advance Nike product releases
o Free shipping on all orders over £50
The launch marks the evolution of O2 Priority, which has already brought Priority access to music via Priority tickets, and shopping via Priority Moments. This is the first time Nike and O2 have worked together. Future development of the app will make it available across other mobile platforms.
Gino Fisanotti, Nike UK & Ireland Marketing Director, said “Nike understands today’s digitally connected athlete better than anyone else and the insights we gain from athletes inspire us to constantly innovate. Our latest digital innovations, in combination with Priority Sports, will allow Nike to inspire and enable O2 customers to be more active by delivering them the best sports products, services and experiences.”
Sally Cowdry, Consumer & Marketing Director of O2 in the UK commented “Your mobile is the centre of your life – and we’ve seen from our network, our O2 Gurus, and our customers, that the UK is keener then ever to sample, share in and socialize around their sporting passions. Priority Sports provides the new, easy and engaging way to prepare, participate and share sport with friends, via a digital sports club with friends ”
You can download the app from the Google Play store for Android devices, or by texting “Sports” to 2020, whilst staying up to speed via #o2prioritysports on Twitter.
Images of the app are available on request. A video overview of the app is available at http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1DCAEECB82B114DB
For more information contact:
O2 Press Office
About O2 in the UK
O2 is the commercial brand of Telefónica UK Limited and is a leading communications company with over 23 million customers – read more about O2 at www.o2.co.uk/news. O2 runs 2G and 3G networks and was the first to trial 4G/LTE, reaching speeds of over 100Mpbs, as well as owning half of Tesco Mobile. It also operates O2 Wifi, O2 Health, O2 Unify, O2 Media and has recently launched the O2 Wallet. O2 employs over 11,000 people in the UK, has 450 retail stores and sponsors The O2, O2 Academy venues and the England rugby team. Telefónica UK Limited is part of Telefónica Europe plc which uses O2 as its commercial brand in the UK, Ireland, Slovakia, Germany and the Czech Republic and is a business division of Telefónica SA.