Received a dodgy-looking email? We're aware of a phishing scam using O2's name. Click here…Read more
9 things you may not know about Birmingham
Birmingham is one of the five big cities to have just got O2 4G. But how much do you know about it?
As Birmingham has now joined the growing rank of cities where O2 4G is now available, we thought this might be a great time to brush up on our knowledge of the city.
Here are some facts about one of our latest 4G debutants.
1. The name ‘Birmingham’ means home (ham) of the people (ing) of the tribal leader Birm or Beorma.
2. Birmingham has more trees than Paris, more miles of canals than Venice, more parks than any other European City and glorious O2 4G. What more could you want?
3. They make a whole lot of international calls, with more than 50 home and community languages spoken. The largest minority ethnic community is Pakistani making up 18% of the population.
4. Birmingham is the UK’s home to chocolate! George and his brother Richard Cadbury moved their successful chocolate manufacturing business from Bull Street, Birmingham to Bournville in 1879.
5. As well as having a super-fast 4G network, they have a super motorway junction. Two miles from Birmingham city centre is one of the biggest motorway junctions in Europe nicknamed ‘spaghetti junction’
6. Birmingham knows how to have a super-charged party! The City’s annual St. Patrick’s day celebration is the third biggest outside Dublin and New York.
7. 4G is going to change business forever, increasing connectivity and revolutionising the working environment. This will help Birmingham become not only the UK’s largest manufacturing and engineering centre, but one of Europe’s power cities!
8. As well as having one of the newest O2 Academy venues in the UK, which reopened in 2009. Birmingham is home to many past and present rock bands including Ocean Colour Scene, Duran Duran, ELO, Dodgy, UB40 and Black Sabbath.
9. The first of the famous Odeon chain of cinemas first opened in Perry Barr, Birmingham in 1930. So why not check out Priority Moments for great offers on music, sport and entertainment in Birmingham!
Got a fact about Birmingham? Know something you want to share with the world about any of our 4G cities? Let us know in the comments. Cheers Brum!