The climate emergency is called so for a reason – it is a problem that…Read more
Be a superhero this Earth Hour
It’s your chance to save our planet this Earth Hour, so get ready to flick those switches off this Saturday 29 March at 8.30pm.
Hundreds of millions of people will be switching their lights off for an hour in a symbolic action to raise awareness for our planet. And we’re doing the same.
What is Earth Hour?
Earth Hour, organised by the WWF, is a worldwide movement to unite people to protect the planet. Over 7000 cities in 157 countries will be taking part this year and over 3000 landmarks across the UK and the world will power down in support including Big Ben, Wembley stadium and Buckingham Palace.
Spider Man will be swinging from building to building to help turn out the lights as this year’s Earth Hour ambassador. But he’s not the only one who can help, we want you to join forces with the web slinger and fight to save the planet by joining in on Earth Hour.
Our participation in Earth Hour
We’ll again be joining in on the global blackout this year, with our retail stores switching of all non-essential electrical items and we’ll be flicking the switch on our main sites over the weekend.
Sustainability is very important to us here at Telefonica and Supporting Earth Hour links in to our Think Big Blue Print objectives. By 2015 we’ve committed to:
- Halve the emissions from our network by 2015, relative to data traffic. (18/40)
- Procure 100% renewable energy for all sites where we control the energy bill. (19/40)
- Have at least one carbon neutral site, achieved through renewable on site generation. (20/40)
- Reduce our absolute carbon emissions in our offi ces and retail stores by 25%. (21/40)
- Be using 25% less water in our offices and switch sites. (22/40)
Be a superhero
All you have to do help is turn out the lights and any non-essential electric equipment for an hour this Saturday from 8.30pm. You might even want to be around one of the landmarks that will power down – a truly epic sight.