For any England Rugby super fan the chance to spend some time with the team…Read more
Making the Internet a safer place for everyone
Tuesday 10 February is Safer Internet Day and this year’s theme is ‘Let’s create a better Internet together’, aiming to inspire safe, responsible and creative use of technology.
Not only does Safer Internet Day give us a great opportunity to open discussions with young people around safe Internet use, it also provides parents and carers the chance to learn more about the role they can play to get involved with helping protect young people online.
We’ve got lots of exciting things planned to promote awareness and get involved and support the campaign again this year:
- Head down to one of our flagship stores on Tuesday 10 February in Leeds (White Rose) and London (Tottenham Court Road) to make a Safe-Bot cat or dog.
- We’ve teamed up with Digital Me, to let kids build and colour in a mini robot each – plus you get to add your very own safer internet message onto your Safe-Bot and an LED (in-store only) to make it that bit more robot-y.
- The activity introduces young people to e-safety messaging as they build their Safe-Bot and most importantly, get parents involved! We’ve got lots of resources for parents to takeaway, so you can continue engaging with the online safety message at home.
- If you can’t make it to a store, simply print out a Safe-Bot Robot to build at home and share with the Safe community through an online app to earn a special O2 Safer Internet Badge. At the end of the week, the online app will show a map of Safe-Bot creations all over the country, spreading the Safer Internet message far and wide!
- Read our free online guide for parents and carers, which contains guidance on using mobiles and navigating the internet safely.
- Tweet us your pledge for Safer Internet Day. What one thing will you do to make a difference? Get involved by tweeting your promise @O2UKThinkBig using the hashtag #Up2Us
- Watch our very own O2 Gurus share some nuggets of wisdom for best internet practice below.
If you’re a teacher, O2 and Digital Me have teamed up to produce a free downloadable resource pack, available at www.makewav.es/safe, from the resource tab on the left hand side. Children complete badge missions as you go to achieve their level one Safe Badge.
Let’s create a safer internet together. Show your support this Safer Internet Day #SID2015
For more help and advice speak to an O2 Guru or visit our online Digital Family page.