Brendan O’Reilly, CTO, O2 There is something quintessentially British about watching live sport. Whether it’s…Read more
The 10 Types of People you will meet at a gig
With the The BRIT Awards only one week away, here at O2 we can’t help but feel a little reflective on all of the concerts we have been to over the years.
From Taylor Swift to Kanye West, no matter what genre it is, every gig is composed of certain groups of people. From the criers to the people who have had a little bit too much to drink, we’ve identified the 10 types of people you will meet at a gig…
The people who clearly do not want to be there
From dads dragged to a One Direction concert, to boyfriends awkwardly standing beside their girlfriend as Taylor Swift preaches independence and girl power; at every concert you will always see one person who was dragged along and clearly does not want to be there. If you can’t find them on the main dance floor reading through their tweets from 3 years ago, you may find them at the bar, or hiding in the toilets just to get a moment of peace and quiet.
The people who pretend they are the artist
From one extreme to another, these are the most recognisable people of all.
Fear not, as convincing as they may be (which is usually not convincing at all), this is just a super fan who wants to be the artist for the night (hopefully not wearing a meat covered dress pretending to be Lady Gaga).
I know you didn’t choose to be 6’5, but I also didn’t choose to be 5’2, so PLEASE let me stand in front of you?
The small person problem has never been so real, so unless you get to the concert early or are brave enough to sneak your way to the front, it may mean you could be looking at someone’s sweaty back for the next 3 hours. *Cries*
The one who has had a little bit too much to drink
Tonight is the night. You are finally getting to see your idol perform live after purchasing the tickets over a year ago. The support act has just played, the main show is about to begin then suddenly, you find yourself slumped in the corner with your friend feeding you water.
Don’t be that person who has to go home before the concert has even started. Just don’t.
The one who ALWAYS falls over
You take your eye off them for one second and somehow they’ve managed to have collapsed into a heap on the floor, and that is before they have even had a drink.
If this is you, try and recover as elegantly as possible. And our vital top tip? Try not to make the fall as tragic as Madonna’s trip at the BRIT Awards last year.
The head bangers
I’m all for flicking your hair with the sass of Beyoncé, but when you start head-butting people, we’d rather you just stopped.
The synchronised dancers
I get it, you and your friends have practiced the Single Ladies dance three hours a week for the past eight weeks, but please don’t take up the whole dance floor as you perform!
I am all for dancing like no one is watching, but when six people take up 20% of the floor, while the other 80% are squashed together like sardines, it’s just not cool.
The people who love a mosh pit
You’re having a great time, dancing the night away when suddenly you get an elbow to the face, several pushes from behind and find yourself right in the centre of a mosh pit.
This is fun if you’re strong and can stand your ground, but when you’ve just used all energy in dancing to the last five songs, two words come to mind…’Help me!’
You’ve loved this artist from day one, the first EP, and now four albums later you are getting to see them live. It’s exciting, but please don’t cry like the world is ending. We just don’t know what to do. Do we offer a tissue? A hug?
The people who record the WHOLE show
I get it, you want to remember the night, especially when they hit the high note of your favourite song. But please don’t record the whole concert.
I recommend a snap chat, a 7 second highlight which allows you to enjoy the other 2 minutes of a song, because it’s always better to live in the moment. Rock on!
So there is it, the 10 people you meet at a gig.
Have you managed to spot yourself or your best friend? Tag and comment below letting us know which one you are.
And for more information on concerts taking place at an O2 Academy near you click here!