Today marks the start of Mental Health Awareness week. An initiative established nearly 20 years…Read more
World Environment Day
By Bill Eyres, Director of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability at O2
Today, Monday 5th June, is World Environment Day, the United Nations’ big call to raise awareness of environmental issues. Across the world people will be getting involved in thousands of events from neighbourhood clean-ups, action against wildlife crime, to replanting forests. All to show their support for our planet.
Here at O2 we have strived to make it easier for our customers to reduce their impact on the planet. Whether through trading in phones with O2 Recycle, buying a second hand one with Like New, or reducing energy consumption using the control of O2 Home, we’re encouraging our customers to do their bit to support our planet.
And across our business, we’re doing what we can to reduce our own impact. And we’ve had some great successes to date:
- We were the first UK digital communications company to be awarded the Carbon Trust’s triple standard for carbon, waste, and water, recognising the hard work that goes on behind the scenes to run our network responsibly
- Since 2012, we have been upgrading the equipment across our cell sites, reducing relative CO2 emissions from our network by 80%
- All sites that are under our control now benefit from a renewable energy tariff
- Through smart metering, we have managed to reduce absolute carbon emissions from our offices and stores by 25%
- Our head office has electric vehicle chargers, making greener driving more accessible for our employees
- We have significantly reduced waste oil from our kitchens
- The cutlery and food packaging at our head office is manufactured from completely compostable materials
- And our toilets. We’re currently trialling eco-friendly air fresheners, and we’ve introduced waterless urinals
- We’re using 25% less water per person at our offices
To discover more about how Telefónica is reducing its impact on the planet, visit here.