Brendan O’Reilly, CTO, O2 There is something quintessentially British about watching live sport. Whether it’s…Read more
Here comes summer - from being able to ditch the jumper to having a cold beer on a hot day, the nation reveals the Top 50 best things about summer
- O2 research reveals 57 per cent of the nation are determined to make this summer the best ever
- The findings reveal the top 50 things people love about summer, including bright mornings and visiting beaches
- This summer, O2 is helping customers make the most out of every moment with exclusive experiences and rewards through Priority.
Research by O2 reveals that over half of the nation (57 per cent) are determined to make this summer the best ever after 58 per cent said they spent last summer almost exclusively in the confines of their own garden.
The poll reveals the top 50 things people love about summer, including being able to ditch the jumper (37 per cent), having a cold beer on a hot day (31 per cent) and falling asleep in the sun (17 per cent). The British public are also looking forward to major sporting events being on the telly (17 per cent).
Over half of those polled (57 per cent) said they plan to spend most of their waking hours enjoying being outdoors this year as 59 per cent felt the weather has a major impact on their mood. Nearly three quarters (74 per cent) of adults revealed that it’s simply easier to get out of bed in the morning during the summer. And nothing says summer like getting an ice cream from the ice cream van according to a quarter of those surveyed (25 per cent).
August was revealed to be the most popular month (28 per cent) within the season itself with a comfortable 25 degrees shown to be the ideal temperature (29 per cent). Bright mornings (47 per cent), spending more time with friends and family (47 per cent), eating outdoors despite now being able to eat indoors (45 per cent) and getting a tan (28 per cent) were top of the agenda for summer 2021 according to respondents. And of the 50 per cent planning a holiday this year, 37 per cent revealed they will be opting for a staycation.
As festival season reopens for business, food (32 per cent) and music events (14 per cent) were top of the agenda along with country fairs (29 per cent) according to the findings.
Nina Bibby, CMO, O2, said: “There’s always a positive feeling heading into the summer months, but this year feels particularly exciting. 2020 was a year of missed moments so as the nation continues to open its doors, it’s completely understandable that everyone wants to make the most of it. That’s why we’re helping customers get the best out of lockdown lifting. From the return of live experiences, through to holidays and days out with friends and families, our range of exclusive Priority rewards gives customers access to amazing experiences at each stage of the UK’s gradual return to normality.”
Here comes brighter from O2 celebrates optimism and positivity as lockdown restrictions ease across the UK. And, as people begin to take life off pause, O2 is there to help customers make the most out of every moment with exclusive experiences through Priority.
To celebrate this, O2 will be giving Londoners the chance to pick up a free ice cream from Riverside Grass, Southbank, 11:00 – 17:00 on Wednesday 26th May. O2 customers will be offered additional ice cream options via the Priority app.
Other Priority rewards available include incredible savings at Booking.com, 60 days free Joe Wicks, The Body Coach fitness and meal plans, Virgin Experience Days from £10, and Greggs: Get a free Bacon, Omelette, or Sausage Breakfast Roll or a Sausage Roll or Vegan Sausage Roll every Friday or Saturday. And Priority Tickets, giving customers early access to gigs at O2 venues and thousands of other shows up to 48 hours before general release.
Customers can download the Priority app via the app store, or by texting PRIORITY to 2020. For more information, search Priority on O2.
TOP 50 BEST THINGS ABOUT SUMMER
- The mornings are bright, 47 per cent
- You can actually spend time in your garden, 45 per cent
- It’s lighter right up until bed time, 43 per cent
- Never feeling cold, 43 per cent
- Don’t need a jumper, 37 per cent
- Visiting beaches, 36 per cent
- Smell of freshly cut grass, 36 per cent
- Barbecues, 35 per cent
- All the trees have leaves on them, 34 per cent
- Fish and chips by the sea, 34 per cent
- Summer foods, 34 per cent
- Eating al fresco, 33 per cent
- Amazing sunsets, 32 per cent
- A cold beer on a hot day, 31 per cent
- Reading books in the sun, 30 per cent
- Not having a cloud in sight for days, 29 per cent
- Spending days on the beach, 29 per cent
- Feels easier to eat a salad in the summer, 27 per cent
- Sunbathing, 27 per cent
- Wearing a pair of shorts, 27 per cent
- Packing for a holiday, 26 per cent
- Picnics with friends, 25 per cent
- Getting an ice cream from the ice cream van, 25 per cent
- Not having to worry about it raining, 24 per cent
- The buzz of a pub garden, 24 per cent
- Never having to take a jacket on a night out, 24 per cent
- Walking into an air-conditioned shop when it’s boiling outside, 22 per cent
- Tanning without trying, 21 per cent
- You don’t have to wear socks or shoes, 20 per cent
- Can wear your good clothes, 19 per cent
- Can wear flip flops anywhere, 18 per cent
- Falling asleep in the sun, 17 per cent
- Summer sporting tournaments being on the telly, 17 per cent
- Adding ice to drinks like cider, 15 per cent
- Beers after work on a Friday in the sun, 14 per cent
- Going on a road trip with friends, 14 per cent
- Music festivals, 14 per cent
- Being able to use your lawn mower, 13 per cent
- Weather makes the commute more bearable, 13 per cent
- Big summer tunes, 13 per cent
- Putting on sun cream, 13 per cent
- Using outdoor swimming pools, 12 per cent
- Chatting to strangers when out and about, 12 per cent
- Watching big events outdoors e.g. Wimbledon in the park on a big screen,11 per cent
- Shopping bargains, 9 per cent
- Getting to wear your expensive sunglasses, 8 per cent
- Kids are off school, 8 per cent
- Chilling in a hammock, 8 per cent
- Playing ball games with friends in the park, 7 per cent
- The big films usually come out in the summer 6 per cent
Notes to Editors
*O2 commissioned One Poll to survey 2,000 Brits across the UK.
Terms and conditions apply. Only one ice cream per customer, offers subject to availability. Visit O2.co.uk/Priority for further information.