As LGBT History Month draws to a close, I wanted to recognise what our people…Read more
O2 launches mobile broadband to give customers a complete broadband experience
18 April 2008: O2 UK today establishes itself as a comprehensive provider of high quality broadband and Internet services in the UK, with the launch of O2 Mobile Broadband.
Designed for fast, easy and reliable Internet connectivity on the move, O2 Mobile Broadband works by simply slotting a small memory stick into the USB port of a notebook computer or PC; customers just “plug-n-play”. With value for money pricing, fast speeds, as well as UK-based after sales service, O2 Mobile Broadband will allow O2 customers to access the internet on a laptop via the O2 mobile network or over 7,500 free Wi-Fi hotspots, anywhere in the UK*, from just £20 a month
O2 launched its home broadband offering last October with a commitment to bringing a high quality service to market. With 9 out of 10 O2 Broadband customers saying they would recommend it to friends or family, O2 has delivered on this commitment. The addition of Mobile Broadband creates a complete set of complementary services which will let customers enjoy high quality and fast access to the internet at home or on the move.
Consistent to all of these services is a commitment to the best overall customer experience in the market. That’s why O2 services – mobile, broadband or devices such as the iPhone from Apple – consistently rank No.1 in overall customer satisfaction.
Available to all O2 customers, the O2 Mobile Broadband service offers:
· 3GB worth of included UK data usage on the O2 network & unlimited Wi-Fi every month through the 7,500 hotspots with our partner, The Cloud in the UK**
· Choice of an 18-month contract or a rolling one-month contract
· 24/7 support from a UK call centre
· the ability for customers to just ‘plug in and off you go’
· Fast wireless access to the internet wherever you are*
With its focus on getting the customer experience right before launching new services, O2 is well placed to offer its customers high-quality broadband on the move.
“Getting the customer experience right is crucial. We are confident our broadband services complete a great communication experience for our customers however they want to connect to the internet, whether that be at home, on their mobile phone or laptop.” said Sally Cowdry, Marketing Director, O2 UK. “Our O2 Mobile Broadband product exclusively allows O2 customers to access the internet wherever* and whenever they want with clear and predictable pricing.”
Customers can choose to take out an 18-month price plan for £20 a month with a USB Modem included free of charge, or pay £20 a month for a rolling one-month package plus the one-off cost of the USB Modem (£119.99). Both price plans give customers unlimited** Wi-Fi access and 3GB per month worth of inclusive UK data (on the O2 network). This should be more than enough for the vast majority of customers allowing them, for example, to download 68 music albums a month.
O2 Mobile Broadband will automatically connect customers to the fastest network available – GPRS, EDGE, 3G and HSDPA, or via the 7,500 Wi-Fi hotspots available through The Cloud.
O2’s USB Modem is complete with a colour-coded LED panel, which indicates which network is being used. Customers also have the ability to search for new Wi-Fi hotspots using O2 Connection Managers Hotspot Directory, which is updated regularly to acknowledge new locations.
Broadband speeds of up to 1.8 megabits per second, which are equivalent to or faster than the speeds most people experience today on their home broadband, will be the standard across the whole O2 network. From June, O2 will begin increasing this to up to 3.6 megabits per second across the network. Further speed increases will follow in line with technology evolution.
Customers can purchase O2 Mobile Broadband online, in any O2 retail store or by calling O2 customer service on 08705 214000.
O2 Business Mobile Broadband launches on May 1st 2008.
About O2 Mobile Broadband
· O2 Mobile Broadband is available to O2 Pay Monthly, O2 Home Broadband customers & O2 Pay & Go customers (subject to £30 per quarter top-up) from £20 per month. If your O2 mobile phone or O2 Home Broadband are disconnected during your minimum term, or your don’t meet the minimum top-up requirements then Mobile Broadband will be charged at £30 per month for the remainder of your minimum term.
· Mobile Broadband data used above 3GB per month (UK only) will be charged at £0.20 per MB inc VAT (charge waived for Consumer Pay Monthly customers for a promotional period until 31st October 2008) and £0.15/MB for business customers. Subject to availability, status, credit check, direct debit payment and minimum term contract.
· Speeds subject to network coverage. Excessive usage and terms apply. See o2.co.uk/terms. Business Mobile Broadband launches 1 May 2008.
* Subject to network coverage. Data usage whilst roaming is subject to additional charges.
** Excessive usage policy applies