Karl Liriano, Head of Network Evolution It’s that time of year again. When Blenheim Palace…Read more
O2's glorious 4G comes to Hull
- O2’s 4G network begins roll out in Hull city
- Part of a £5 million pound network investment in the city and surrounding areas
- 4G on O2 available for all new and existing customers on a range of tariffs across Pay Monthly and Pay & Go
O2 today announced it has started to switch on its 4G service in Hull, the UK City of Culture for 2017. This is part of a £5 million pound investment to upgrade services across the city and surrounding areas, including the modernisation of O2’s existing 2G and 3G networks, as well as the roll out of a new superfast 4G service.
O2’s 4G network now reaches over 38 million people allowing customers to do more on the move, from streaming exclusive music and sport previews, to multiplayer gaming.
Diana Johnson, Labour MP for Kingston upon Hull North commented on the launch: “The arrival of O2 4G marks another significant step forward for Hull as we continue preparing to make 2017 a huge success for the city. Having a superfast mobile network in place will play a crucial part to our long-term strategy of making Hull a place where people will come and visit from across the world and celebrate our city with its vibrant tradition of arts and culture and museums of national importance.”
In preparation for the launch, O2 has already moved thousands of customers (using a 4G device) to its 4G service at no extra cost. They’ll be able to access O2’s 4G network straight away, offering faster data speeds and a seamless mobile experience.
Benefits of O2 4G include:
- Tariffs and Data Bundles: O2 Refresh lets customers change their phone as often as they want. When a customer signs up, they choose a Phone Plan and an Airtime Plan. Customers, who want a new handset before the end of their contract term, can pay off the remainder of their Phone Plan and end their Airtime Plan with no termination fee. O2 Refresh 4G mobile tariffs are available on a range of Airtime Plans with data allowances between 500MB and 20GB. Plans are offered with unlimited minutes* and text messages. Pay & Go customers can choose Big Bundles, a tariff that gives 1GB or 2GB of O2 4G data, minutes and texts when they top up from £15. O2 Customers can also get access to over 11,000 O2 Wifi Hotspots and exclusive offers through O2 Priority. There is also a range of O2 Refresh tariffs for tablets.
- Exclusive Entertainment: O2 Refresh customers who sign up to 4G with O2 will receive exclusive access to a range of music, sport and gaming content, including four weeks free subscription to O2 Tracks and multiplayer gaming on the move, which doesn’t eat into the data allowance.
- Online Tools: O2’s website now features a number of 4G tools including a 4G coverage checker, a data calculator to help customers decide how much data they need and an online set-up assistant for existing customers to move to 4G from their existing contract.
- O2 Gurus: Customers who want to find out more about 4G on O2 can visit their local O2 store and online through Guru TV, where O2 Gurus can offer free experience sessions to explore the possibilities offered by 4G.
Derek McManus, Chief Operating Officer, Telefónica UK said “I’m delighted that O2 4G has started to roll out across Hull. Our customers can now experience all the exciting benefits of 4G, including local businesses who can make full use of those mobile products and services that will allow them to grow and increase productivity. As we continue to roll out 4G across the region, we are also upgrading our 2G and 3G networks, so every O2 customer will have an even better experience.”
O2 launched its 4G service in August 2013, which currently covers 408 towns and cities reaching over 60% outdoor population coverage. O2 is continuing with its rapid network roll out with the aim of reaching 98% of the UK population before the end of 2017.
For more information on O2 4G or, please visit www.o2.co.uk/4g
* 500MB tariff has 500 inclusive minutes.
O2 Press Office contacts
t +44 (0)1753 565656
O2 is the commercial brand of Telefónica UK Limited and is a leading digital communications company with the highest customer satisfaction for any mobile provider according to Ofcom. With over 24 million customers, O2 runs 2G, 3G and 4G networks across the UK as well as operating O2 Wifi and owning half of Tesco Mobile. O2 has over 450 retail stores and sponsors The O2, O2 Academy venues and the England Rugby team. Read more about O2 at www.o2.co.uk/news.
Telefónica UK Limited is registered in England and Wales. Registration number: 1743099.
Its registered office is at: 260 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 4DX, United Kingdom.